The club was founded in 1890, so golf has been played on Chorleywood Common for over 125 years. It is the oldest club in Hertfordshire.

In the early days, the club members included wealthy London gentry who used the newly completed Metropolitan Line to travel to and from Chorleywood.
The original 18 hole course had 2 holes playing across the railway. In 1922 the 18 hole layout was scrapped and the course was reduced to 9 holes, with help from the renowned golfer and course architect James Braid. Play was not permitted on Sundays until 1926.
In World War 1, the Common was used by the Bombing School for practice. After the war, 150 live grenades were cleared from 7th fairway

In World War 2, the clubhouse was used as an emergency first aid post for the local ARP unit. In September 1940 nine high explosive and two incendiary bombs fell on the course.

The new Clubhouse was opened in 1990 in time to mark the club's centenary.

A more detailed and comprehensive account of those first 100 years can be found in 'Chorleywood Golf Club, A History by K.G. Wilcock

  • Good Value Golf at Chorleywood!
  • Come and try us!
  • Tee times rarely necessary
Course Status
Currently open
15.11.2019 07:58
View Status
With the following restrictions: Preferred Lies